Practice makes practice


A good friend of mine has a mantra, Practice makes Practice. To me that means that the more I do something, the easier it becomes, the more I can do something easily, the quicker I am, the more I can get done, the more I can polish the skill and so on. 

The text block is sewn together. 


But wouldn't you know I had to do that twice. I decided after the first go around I didn't like the thread thickness. Now it is pasted up and waiting for rounding and backing. 

Thread has also been ordered from Colophon Book Arts Supply and has arrived! 
In hindsight I should have finished my design first so that I would know what colors to order, but having chosen the rainbow, I think I'm covered. 

I am enjoying the process of designing the spines even if it is slow going. 
I managed to recreate Elizabeth Drinker's poppy and now need to see if I can scale it down enough to fit on the spine. Possibly the poppy will go sideways, not up and down. 

At each step I'm learning I should do something different. First I thought I should just sketch out a design in the correct proportion and space, then I realized I had to do it on a grid. And now I'm thinking I need to go back to the mock up and make a complete text block so that I can see how many more spaces I have on the shoulders of the book. The spine across is 18 stitches, but I think I'm going to get at least 4 more on either side.

Then of course there are other distractions:
I make a mess when I work. For years I've been storing my prisma color pencils rubber banded together in a zip lock bag. Well, who can find the right colors in this mess? 

Inspired by the same friend with the mantra, I organized the colors into jars. This works quite well as long as I remember to put the pencil back in the jar when I'm finished with it. 

And of course, Jacques is always good for an enforced break.
 I mean, what else would I be doing except waiting for him to grace me with his presence to be petted? We came to a compromise a long time ago. As long as the two back paws are still on my lap he is not technically on the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make mock ups

Waltzing Along